Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July & Everything After

I took a leave of absence, but I finally decided to return.

So much has changed since my previous entries (that I have since deleted); Let me bring you up to speed.

For my American Diabetes Association "Step Out!" walk, I raised about $735. I was so proud and moved to tears; the overwhelming support I received from friends and family by reaching out through social media (Twitter, Facebook) was unreal. I can't thank everyone enough, still. I plan on beginning my fundraising for the 2012 walk soon.

I had even managed to receive a new insulin pump from Medtronic back in November 2011; my insurance had boasted that my co-pay would be over a thousand dollars, but I just did not have that money to spend, so I applied for financial assistance, and got a brand new Paradigm Revel 750 in PINK. I believe my total was perhaps $350, which was right in my ballpark.

The holidays came and went, and before you know it, I was considering taking tighter control of my diabetes, so I applied for a Dexcom sensor.

I received it in February 2012 and met with a rep to show me how to use it, which actually turned out to be pretty user-friendly (once I got the hang of it). My first sensor change by myself was beyond dramatic; I am pretty sure I was stomping around my apartment fake-crying and pounding my fists and producing ridiculous crocodile tears, but alas, I changed it alone and without assistance.

My job is going well; I am still working at the Wexner Medical Center, department of Internal Medicine, and I love it very much. I would love to go back and finish my nursing degree, but I wouldn't be able to keep my job at a part time rate. Plus, I really don't feel like giving my job up just to go to school and wait tables again, or take out extra loan money to survive off of. I think what it basically comes down to, is that I'm scared. I'm still trying to figure out how to completely live without fear. Has anyone else figured out the secret?

In May of this year, I also decided that to gain even tighter control of my juvenile diabetes, I needed to stop eating outside of the food pyramid. Pizza and donuts weren't exactly working for me, or my weight. I cut out a significant amount of carbohydrates, processed food, and even sugars. I have maintained my weight, but have lost several inches, which I am indefinitely proud of. I eat mostly protein (shakes, turkey non-processed, egg whites, cottage cheese, cheese in general and Chobani) and lots of raw almonds. I try to not eat more than 50 grams of carbohydrates per day. This is very challenging, but I find that, by eating every 2.5 to 3 hours (protein!), I am less hungry throughout the day. I am constantly snacking on almonds, egg whites (hardboiled), or drinking a protein shake.

I have definitely had my cheat days (mostly on weekends), but I don't like the way that food makes me feel. I feel lousy the day after! Bloated and just nauseated. I am trying to make this a lifestyle change, but don't call me crazy, yet! Of course I still crave sugar. I love it, in its every delicious form. I love to bake, so I have been trying to make small changes to the way I make my sweets (Splenda vs. white sugar, whole wheat flour vs. white flour), which has resulted in several failed attempts!

There's actually this great bakery in Columbus that considers themselves "vegan," so after gaining the nutritional knowledge from the owner, I will sometimes stop there for a sweet treat.

My hemoglobin A1c has not been checked since mid-May or June, but I believe it was 9.4%.

I won't see my endocrinologist until after next month, so I am almost positive it should be within the 7-8% range. I have been so good to myself and my body. I can't believe I did it!

Back in April, I had applied to be a camp counselor at a juvenile diabetes camp in Cincinnati, Ohio. I had a couple telephone interviews, and I got the position! I have never been so excited about something in my life! My "real life" job was gracious enough to give me the entire week of camp off of work (paid!).

I leave this upcoming Saturday, July 28. Campers arrive at Camp Korelitz on Sunday, July 29, and the camp runs through Saturday, August 4.

The day camp ends, I have to drive back home to Columbus, do a little laundry, and then get dressed up for my cousin Seth's wedding back home in the Sandusky area.

The very next day, my best friend's mother is hosting her bridal shower.

I have a lot going on, but it's OK; I love being busy and always having something to do!

Kristin and Max are getting married on September 29. I paid off my bridesmaid's dress and have yet to meet with the seamstress to get it hemmed and taken in (it was too big, can you believe it?).


Max is currently in Afghanistan, serving our country. He will be back in the United States as of August 16, and back home to Ohio to marry my best friend, about a week before their actual wedding. Kristin has been planning her wedding alone, mostly. I have offered help to her here and there, but living so far away from home makes it difficult.

Now, tell me about you! How is your summer going? Have you set any goals for yourself? How are you managing your family, friends, playdates, diabetes? Are you or your children going away to a summer camp? Leave me a response in the comment section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment